X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evil Eye Prayer

Does anyone know the prayer used to remove the Evil Eye?
    Are there other methods to remove it?

Curing the Evil Eye - Malocchio

Hi MsPrada, Welcome to the forum!

Both the diagnostic test and the cures for the Evil Eye differ depending upon the region your ancestors are from. So there really isn't any one prayer or procedure you can use.

Most processes in determing if you have the Evil Eye involve drops of olive oil in a saucer of water. Depending upon the region, if the oil forms one large drop - like an eye then that means you have Malocchio. However other traditions say that if the oil spreads evenly over the entire surface of water then that means you have Malocchio.

The most common prayers to remove the Evil Eye are the Lords Prayer or Hail Mary, often while using scissors or a knife to "cut" at the oil in the saucer.

However looking in "Italian American Folklore" by Frances Malpezzi and William Clements there are some specific prayers directed against the Evil Eye:

In Sicilian:
    "Occhi e contro occhi e perticelli agli occhi,
    Crepa la invidia e schiattono gli occhi"

Here is a Calabrian prayer to Saint Rosalie:
    "Santa Rosalia, l'acqua veniva.
    C'era una donna, mal'occhio teneva.
    Passo nostro Signore, con palma d'oliva in mano.
    L'acqua fece seccare, L'erba fece malagnare,
    a quattro cantoni spumicava.
    Padre, Figlio e Spirito Santo.

Also the amulet known as a "corno", it looks like a red horn is supposed to protect the wearer from the Evil Eye.

Hope that helps,
    Justin

Comment

I'm thoroughly confused....evil eye? What evil eye? And why do you need a prayer to "remove" it?

Is it some sort of religious thing? And why do you remove it? Why is it bad?

Hope someone can clear this up for me!!

Comment

Superstitions

Hi Dan,

The Evil Eye is a very ancient custom found througout the Mediterranean.

You can read more about the Evil Eye and other Italian and Italian-American superstitions in my article:

http://www.lifeinitaly.com/heritage/superstition.asp

Comment

Originally posted by justindemetri View Post
          Hi Dan,

The Evil Eye is a very ancient custom found througout the Mediterranean.

You can read more about the Evil Eye and other Italian and Italian-American superstitions in my article:

http://www.lifeinitaly.com/heritage/superstition.asp
          Hahaha! Go figure, its on LifeinItaly...well now I know! Interesting superstition, I wonder if my mother knows about this as well, I think it is common in Hispanic homes as well...

Comment

Thanks for your help Justin.....or should I say....Grazie ;-)

Comment

Why do you need it?

Seeing ghosts?

Comment

I have to gigle reading this. I guess it explains why my nonna would say the crazy things to us. I got the preach about going out without blow drying my hair all the time. Another one she used to say is that she would cut our tails off. We called her the witch when we were little because she was very intuitive and very very superstitious. I now understand why.

Comment

Had an Italian girfriend who lived in Argentina. She would have me do different things
                  to remove the evil eye. It will come to me in a minute. Something about yawning and then
                  a little ritual she would put me through. Not that I believed in it but it was kind of
                  interesting and fun. Strange how she was a very educated person but belived whole heartedly
                  in this evil eye stuff. She was far from being an ignorant peasant from the south. She spoke
                  several language anche.
                  Last edited by Villa; 11-21-2008, 11:49 PM.

Comment

A method to remove the evil eye

Things You’ll Need:
                    Bowl of water
                    3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil

Step 1 Place the bowl on the table. Have the person sit at the table with you standing. Put the olive oil in the water.

Step 2 As the oil separates from the water make the sign of the cross, saying aloud, "In the Name of the Father, the Son and Holy Spirit."

Step 3 Make the sign of the cross on the palm of both your hands. Place your hands on the person (putting them on the head for a migraine)
                    and say this prayer: "Father, this prayer is being said for (give name) and I pray it works in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit."
                    Do this three times.

Step 4 When done, together say one Our Father, one Hail Mary and one "Glory Be To the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. As it was
                    in the beginning is now and forever shall be", holding hands if you feel more comfortable.(I like holding hands.)
                    Last edited by Villa; 11-22-2008, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Il MALOCCHIO E'UNA LEGGENDA URBANA, PER SPAVENTARE IL POPOLINO.C'E' QUELLI CHE CREDONO E QUELLI CHE NON CREDONO. IO NON CI CREDO. SE HAI IL MALOCCHIO SIGNIFICA CHE HAI UN MAL DI TESTA O HAI IL RAFFREDDORE OR LINFLUENZA. QUESTAE' LA MA OPINIONE.
                      CIAI A TUTTI, GINO165.

Comment

Working...
                      X