X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humpty Dumpty

Does anyone know who Humpty Dumpty ( in Naples, Italy) was? If you were in the U.S. military between 1950-1999 you may know.

Haha Danno! I wonder who will answer this question?

Comment

I don't know

I thought I would shake some of these people up a bit. Seems like everyone went on vacation.

Comment

Yes I noticed it too.
        I already miss those nice political discussions

I'm sure there is very few people that can answer you, surely I can't!

Will you tell Humpty Dumpty story if no one knows?

Comment

I certainly will but I will wait a few days, well, maybe a day since I will be going on vacanza starting 29 Agosto!
          Ciao

Comment

Who was this person?

Humpty Dumpty was the name given to this woman by American Servicemen way back in the early 1950's, because she sat on a wall that was on the road between the U.S. Navy Base in Agnano and the NATO Base in Bagnoli.This Wall was very well worn after all those years. She was a prostitute that catered to the military men, probably locals too. She was very famous and put 2 of her daughters thru college. I believe she died in 1999 after being hit by a car.
            This woman became somewhat of a legend and her photo was even sold in the U.S. Navy store at Agnano until some of the wives started to complain as to why the would encourage somehting like that!
            There was another woman who they called "Commissary Mary" that was closer to the Navy Base.
            I have been trying to find out what her real name was but so far no luck.
            Now you know the rest of the story..
            Ciao

Comment

Thanks Danno - I'd "Googled" Humpty Dumpty and the results were mainly from US military sites with little reference to the nursery rhyme! All along the road past Camp Darby are "Ladies of the night", who over the years have progressed from deckchairs a few years ago, to camper vans now - it may be the world's oldest profession, but it does move with the times

Comment

Wow, nice history Danno.
                I knew that US army in Naples were always surrounded by prostitutes, and I imagined that wonderful curiosities could born from that.
                Poor wives!

Comment

Poor wives! Have you seen some of those women? Just kidding. It is actually a criminal offense these days for U.S. Military and Government employees to engage in prostitution because of human trafficking. We actually have to take a training course once a year to warn us of it. Now, that doesn't mean some guys still get stupido!

Comment

Re: Humpty Dumpty

She was there when we left in 94. We haven't seen her since we moved back last year though we don't spend alot of time there since the base is in Capodichino.

Comment

I was stationed in Bella Napoli with the US Marine Security Guard Detachment from 1952 to 1954.
                      We did not know of a "Humpty Dumpty" in the early 50's. What we had was the "Garibaldi Commando's". They hung around Piazza Garibaldi where we were billeted at the Albergo Bella Napoli. Great duty.

Any of you old time Marines ever hear of them?

Comment

Originally posted by Danno View Post
                        Does anyone know who Humpty Dumpty ( in Naples, Italy) was? If you were in the U.S. military between 1950-1999 you may know.
                        Hi, I graduated from the American/Nato high school there in 65. I remember seeing Humpty Dumpty and the other "Camp fire Girls" and the "Boys" with their sweaters on their shoulders, in the area many times while walking to and from the base. I have seen her more than once talking to a client and then hopping over the wall with her cot for business. Yes I have heard she made lot of money over the years - Hey- if she really did send her kids to college all the power to her!!

Comment

Working...
                        X